Wednesday, April 16, 2008

2007: Year of First Times

Don’t be confused. 2008 has started already but it’s not late to recap the exciting events that happened last year of the Pig. They may be ordinary for you but I consider them as extra-ordinary. Some may be simple but I treat them one-of-a-kind as they taught me to value life and realized impossible can be possible. So fasten your seat-belt as we travel back.

JANUARY. The night I will always remember. It was my first time to spend the whole night with my college friends in one of our friends’ place somewhere in a hilly area as we cherished our last days in college. Though most houses have TVs and radios, it is like remote as neighbors are distance away from each other. We had our tent built, cooked our dinner, laughed and danced with of course our bonfire. The weather was quite bad and we spent the night chilling as the cold wind was blowing. The next day was a hike in the overlooking mountainous side where you see the whole city. Thanks to Mr. & Mrs. Padua for the accommodation.

FEBRUARY. The month of love was truly loving for me. I with my friends was invited for a party, not a birthday party but an engagement party. And what to expect, it’s a formal party so we had our attires ready. The party was simple but was so great to have it as my first.

MARCH. My first retreat happened. I never had one before during Grade school or High school. The event was new to me and the activities were a bit serious. We had the sharing of life stories, confession of sins asking forgiveness from one enemy to another and a lot of crying stuff specially for girls. But of course, the laugh was still there and the one I enjoyed much, the FOOD.

APRIL. I had decided to enroll for a summer class not back to college but in a special class outside. I got involved with the Deaf community learning their language, the sign language. I did really enjoy it learning their ABC, singing and acting with our bare hands. I meet new friends and got along with some special deaf-mute people. How I wish everyone can learn their way of talking for us to understand them, more than knowing what they want to say.

MAY. Lot of things happened in May. I had casted my vote for a national election for the first time. And I admit I received a cold cash from a party though I have my reason why I had to. But still I considered my list as I did not go for a straight vote. Same month I decided to leave the house for my first job somewhere in Cagayan de Oro. That was my first to travel by myself with my own money from my scholarship allowance last year. I was a bit scared though it wasn’t my first time to step in the place. I contacted my uncle the first day to fetch me. But I already planned to live by myself in a boarding house. Luckily I have friends to help me where I stayed for days while trying my wit for that call center job. Thank god I made it, passed the exam and the interview, and was scheduled for training. So I went back home for some important papers.

JUNE. I went back to Cagayan with excitement. When I arrived, my friend invited me for a movie and that was my first to get inside a cinema. “Pirates of the Caribbean: The lost World” was the first movie I’ve watched inside a cinema. I also had my very first medical examination as compliance for my job. The training was moved to July so I decided to go back home.

JULY. Terrifying month it was. I was confined in a hospital for 4 days. I got sick after being contaminated with a deadly bacterium of Salmonella causing a fever, a typhoid fever. It was my very first taste of dextrose. I was so frustrated because I missed the training and had given my parents burden financially. I was supposed to stay until the salmonella thing is totally dead but decided to have home-medication to lessen the bills.

August. After doing the home-medication, taking the prescribed medicines for 5 days, I thought I’d be well and cured so I can start earning money for my family. But it got worsen. The medicines were too strong that caused damage to my liver. In other words, I got hepatitis plus ulcer. So another set of drugs to take and another spending to do. That was school days so I was left alone at home. I felt death was coming my way but I always resist. I did not let my friends know as I did not want to be sympathized that would trigger death in my head. But there were few who visited me.

September. The saddest birthday ever. But wasn’t that bad at all. I never considered it as my last considering my condition that was a bit hopeless. Instead I considered it as a new start and a new life for me. I realized how stupid I was before with the thought that I can make in on my own. I learned to value life and value people around me.

OCTOBER. I felt better and energized. I’m ready to work so I planned to go back to Cagayan. But an offer came through a teacher. I accepted it and my first time to ride a plane and Manila experience had happened. I was there for a training for a new business to open where I’ll be working or simply, my very first job. The experience was great and I promised myself it will happen again soon.

NOVEMBER. The business establishment was launched as well as my skill to handle an event. Though I’m used to during college days for some school events, this time it’s different as it’s more formal and serious. Surprisingly, it went fine and somehow successful though a bit tiring. But that was it, my job. If I won’t work, I won’t be paid.

DECEMBER. I had my first spending out from my salary. I never had for my first one and a half month in the office as I was saving for a business venture and was paying for the money we owed when I got sick. The spending happened that Christmas and New Year as I shared for our dinner for the celebrations. The spending was only for food, no new shirts and stuffs and even gift wrap. And the business venture stuff began when I had attended a BOM (Business Opportunity Meeting) that month with my saving enough for a start.

Sigh! A tough year that was and luckily I survived. Big thanks to HIM. Now, I’m ready for a GO! GO!

No comments: